Three nurses have been struck off after pleading guilty to wilful neglect.

Three nurses have been struck off after pleading guilty to wilful neglect

  • August 4, 2016
  • Three nurses who worked in the Princess of Wales Hospital in Bridgend have been struck off the nursing register following a two day Nursing and Midwifery Council hearing.

    Lauro Bertulano, Natalie Jones and Rebecca Jones all pleaded guilty to wilful neglect last year. The court heard how they were “too lazy” to check the glucose levels of vulnerable patients on a specialist stroke ward and made up readings instead. This meant that some patients went hours before having genuine tests carried out.

    The Nursing and Midwifery Council’s decision came after the tribunal was told of how Rebecca Jones was sentenced to eight months, Bertulano to four months while Natalie Jones was given a 12-month community order.

    Abertawe Bro Morgannwg health board, who are responsible for the hospital, said their behaviour was “totally unacceptable”.

    Beverley Stanton, Chartered Legal Executive at Medical Accident Group said: “This story is shocking. Such vital tests should always be carried out and their results recorded accurately to ensure the safety and wellbeing of all patients. This is simply appalling treatment provided by members of a profession in which we place our trust.” These patients were clearly denied access to the treatment that they so desperately needed, which could have caused their condition to deteriorate. Alongside putting patients’ lives at risks, a failure to provide appropriate medical treatment early on will often lead to the patient having to undergo more surgery, spend more time in hospital and undergo more extensive rehabilitation.

    Inez Brown, Partner at Medical Accident Group, said “if patients are not being admitted to hospital, A&E departments are under pressure but it is shocking that delays of up to 9 hours in getting patients to hospital are being allowed to happen.”

    Unfortunately these delays are costing in excess of £30,000 at a time when hospitals need to be making costs saving exercises. In addition, the Health Department is currently proposing fixed fees for medical negligence claims for damages recovered of up to £250,000. This would limit access to justice for a number of patients who have received negligent treatment as medical negligence solicitors would find it difficult to investigate these claims. If there were fewer delays the government would make considerable savings to the national health bill.

    If you or a loved one have suffered as a result of inadequate treatment, Medical Accident Group can help. Our experienced and sympathetic team, whose knowledge of clinical negligence and personal injury law is extensive, can support you through the process of making a claim and seeking justice. We can advise on issues from brain injury or birth injury to surgical and medical errors and accidents at work. Call us free on 0800 050 1668.

    Start your no obligation consultation now

    NO WIN
    NO FEE
    No Obligation Consultation
    FIND OUT MORE