Cancer Doctor Sacked After Fears of Patients Being Mistreated

  • October 20, 2014
  • Fears over mistreatment by a Consultant urologist at an East Surrey Hospital has led to them being written to after Paul Miller was sacked from his post at the Earlswood Hospital after an investigation found 27 people have come to “serious significant harm” because of the treatment they received while under his care.

    It is estimated that over 1200 prostrate cancer and bladder patients may have been treated wrongly and the alarm was raised In November last year when Dr Miller’s fellow consultants and specialist nurses expressed concerns about his practice.  He was suspended the following month and an investigation was carried out by the Royal College Of Surgeons which said that 1200 of his patients dating back to 2006 had to be reviewed. The care of a further small number of patients also fell well below hospital standards, according to the Trust.

    The affected patients were due to receive letters this week and Mr Miller has been banned from treating urological cancer patients while an investigation by the General Medical Council is carried out.  According to the Hookwood Centre for Health website, Mr Miller won “numerous awards and has been widely published” during his career and taught at The Royal College of Surgeons and Institute of Urology.  He also worked at Spire Gatwick Park Hospital in Horley.

    Ally Taft, Clinical Negligence Solicitor

    Ally Taft

    Ally Taft, Senior Associate at the Medical Accident Group said: “We receive many enquiries from patients concerned that they have not been given enough advice about the risks, complications and possible outcomes of prostrate surgery or have advised them to undergo an unnecessary procedure. If you have concerns about any treatment provided by Dr Miller or any surgical procedure you have had, our team is on hand at the Medical Accident Group to advise or assist you as to whether you may have a potential claim.”

    Eastwood Surrey Hospital Trust have issued a statement saying they have been open and transparent with all the national bodies including the Care Quality Commission, and they acknowledge and appreciate the outcome of the clinical review and the content of the letters will be deeply distressing to their patients and their families.  They also say that their main aim is to allay patients’ fears and anxieties and their main priority is to deal with the patients.

    Concerned East Surrey Hospital patients can call a dedicated helpline on 0808 168 7754 Monday to Friday between 11am and 7pm.

    Have you experienced substandard care?

    If you have received substandard care or would like advice in relation to a medical accident then we are able to assist.  The Medical Accident Group is a team of dedicated clinical negligence solicitors, with experience in dealing with surgical error claims. If you believe you have a claim, call the team now on 0800 050 1668 or contact us using our online form.

    Start your free consultation now

    NO WIN
    NO FEE
    FREE
    Initial Consultation
    FIND OUT MORE